This Privacy Statement provides you with detailed information relating to the protection of your personal data by Academic & Scientific Publishers (ASP) (S.A.) ("we").
We are responsible for processing your personal data in the context of our activities. The purpose of this Privacy Statement is to inform you about what personal data we process about you, the reasons for which we process and share this data, how long we keep it and how you can exercise your rights.
If necessary, we may provide you with additional information when you apply for a specific product or service.
1. What personal data do we use about you?
We collect and use your personal data to the extent necessary to conduct our business and to achieve a high standard of personalized products and services. In doing so, we process different categories of personal data, including:
- identification data (e.g. name, IP address);
- contact data (e.g. postal and email address, telephone number);
- data relating to training and employment (e.g. job, name of employer);
- financial and commercial data (e.g. bank account number, history of transactions, debts);
- data relating to your preferences:
o data relating to your use of our products and services;
o data about your interactions with us via: our websites, our social media pages, emails.
The data we use about you is data you have provided to us directly, or data we have obtained through one of the following sources, to verify or supplement our databases:
- publications/databases made available by official bodies (e.g. Het Belgisch Staatsblad)
- our business customers or service providers;
- websites/social media pages containing information that you have made public yourself (e.g. your own website or social media page); and
- databases made public by third parties.
2. Why and on what basis do we use your personal data?
A. To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations
We use your personal data to comply with various legal and regulatory obligations, including:
- complying with tax audits;
- responding to an official request from an authorized public or judicial authority.
B. To execute an agreement with you or to take the necessary steps at your request before entering into an agreement
We use your personal data to enter into and perform our agreements, and also to:
- provide you with information about our products and services;
- assist you and answer your questions;
- evaluate whether we can offer you a product or service and under what conditions
- provide products or services to our business customers of which you are an employee
C. Based on our legitimate interest
We use your personal data to implement and develop our products or services, to improve our risk management and to defend our rights, including:
- proving transactions;
- fraud prevention;
- IT management, including infrastructure management, business continuity and IT security;
- preparation of statistical models, based on the analysis of transactions;
- preparing aggregated statistics, tests and models for research and development;
- personalizing our offer through:
o improving the quality of our products or services;
o advertising products or services that match your profile.
o We do this by:
segmenting our potential customers and existing customers;
analyzing your habits and preferences (based on your use of our products and services or your interaction with us through the various channels (e-mails or messages, visits to our website, etc.)); and
comparing the products and services you already have or use with other data we hold about you.
D. To respect your choice when we seek your consent for a specific processing operation
In some cases, we need to seek your consent to process your data, for example:
- when a processing mentioned above results in automated individual decision-making that produces legal effects or otherwise significantly affects you. In this case, we will inform you of the logic behind this and the significance and expected consequences of such processing;
- if we carry out additional processing for purposes other than those set out in this Section 2, we will inform you thereof and, if necessary, seek your consent.
E. To process electronic communications data
In addition to recording electronic communications permitted or required by law, or recordings to which you have consented, we may also record your electronic communications, including related traffic data, for our legitimate business purposes, specifically to:
- train and monitor our employees so that we can improve service quality; and/or
- have evidence of business transactions or communications that took place via these electronic communications, including the content of these communications.
We may retain such data for as long as required or permitted by law, in particular during the period when a dispute may arise as a result of the electronic communications recorded between you and us.
The foregoing applies to telephone calls as well as any other electronic communications (such as e-mail, SMS, instant messaging services or similar technologies).
3. With whom do we share your personal data?
To fulfil the purposes stated above, we only share your personal data with:
- Service providers providing services on our behalf;
- Independent agents, intermediaries or brokers;
- Financial and judicial authorities, governmental or public bodies, upon request and to the extent permitted by law;
- Certain regulated professions such as lawyers, notaries or auditors.
4. How long will we keep your personal data?
We will retain your personal data for as long as is required to comply with applicable laws and regulations, or longer, when operationally required, such as for account management, facilitating customer management and to respond to legal claims or enquiries from regulatory authorities. For example, most customer information is kept for the duration of the contractual relationship and up to 10 years after the end of the contractual relationship.
5. What are your rights and how can you exercise them?
In accordance with applicable regulations, you have the right to:
- Inspection: you may obtain information about the processing of your personal data and obtain a copy of such personal data.
- Rectification: if you believe that your personal data is inaccurate or incomplete, you may request that such errors be rectified.
- Erasure: you may request the erasure of your personal data.
- Restriction: you may request the restriction of the processing of your personal data.
- Objection: you can object to the processing of your personal data for reasons related to your specific situation. You have an absolute right to object to the processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes, including profiling related to direct marketing.
- Withdrawal of your consent: if you have given your consent to the processing of your personal data, you always have the right to withdraw this consent.
- Data portability: to the extent applicable by law, you have the right to obtain the personal data you have provided to us or, to the extent technically possible, to have it transferred to a third party.
If you wish to exercise any of the aforementioned rights, please send us a letter or e-mail to the following address: Academic & Scientific Publishers (ASP) (S.A.), Boulevard de l'Empereur 34, 1000 Brussels or email@example.com.
In accordance with applicable regulations, in addition to the aforementioned rights, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the competent supervisory authority.
6. How can you track changes to this Privacy Statement?
In a world of constant technological change, we will need to update this Privacy Statement regularly.
We invite you to consult the latest version of this Privacy Statement online and we will keep you informed of significant changes via our website or through our other communication channels.
7. How can you contact us?
If you have any questions about our use of your personal data as described in this Privacy Statement, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. or by letter to Academic & Scientific Publishers (ASP) (S.A.), Boulevard de l'Empereur 34, 1000 Brussels.